Monday, December 04, 2006

Santa

Christmas is coming and my 2 youngest kids are so excited about seeing Santa. This got me thinking-Santa is a rather odd thing in these times.
We spend time explaining to our kids that strangers are not to be trusted and to never take anything from them. We warn them of what to do in case of emergencies at home and teach them how to make a 911 call if needed.
Then comes Christmas. We tell our kids that the oddly dressed man is okay and to go sit on his lap. We tell them this stranger will come into our house late at night and they should set out treats for him. We tell them that this stranger leaves gifts and can read their minds.
And we are surprised that our kids are confused?
This came home today as I was encouraging one of mine to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas. He looked up at me and said, "But Mommy, he's a stranger, I can't take stuff from strangers" We ended up not sitting with Santa as in a store was just not the right time to try and explain all this. In fact I'm still not sure HOW to explain it. I don't know whether to reclaim some of the mystery and joy of childhood for my children or whether to reinforce 'stranger danger'. I don't want them growing up without that sense of excitement but I don't want them to be a target either. I have seen Halloween pass from a joyfully anticipated holiday to just another day. I don't want to lose Christmas as well.
Life was easier when I was small. I wonder what it will be like for my grand children.

No comments: