Thursday, December 07, 2006

Mom

I have had people ask when the Mom post is coming..here it is.

I think Moms are more difficult for females to write about. We always think 'I'm never going to be like her' and then find ourselves thinking back, trying to remember what she said so we can say it too. My relationship with my Mom has always reminded me of a quote I once read. "When I was young, I was sure my parents knew nothing. Ten years later, I was amazed at how much they had learned."
My Mom always went out of her way to help me-she would take the time out of her life to teach me. She taught me to cross-stitch, crochet, tried to teach me to cook. Anything I showed interest in, there she was, ready to help. She even became interested in hobbies I picked up. We both rode horses, we both played golf, later on we even worked in the same place. I cannot think of a single time that she refused to help me. I remember calling her at 3 a.m. when I was new Mom, knowing she had to go to work soon. Did she fuss? Nope, she answered the questions, reassured me and said I was doing good.
Despite all that, I still assumed my Mom had no understanding of me or my life. Was I just an ungrateful little brat? Probably...But also she was Mom, she was always there and I knew she would be regardless of what I did. So that made her a safe target to rebel against and say I would be different than.
It's years later now and I can say I'm not all that different than she was. My husband says I act like her as does my oldest. I hear her words when I speak and now can recognize the thoughts behind those words as I have the same ones. My 12 year old is positive I have no clue of whats happening in his life and has even said that his kids will be raised different. It's even reached my mirror. If imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery, then Mom should be proud. After all the heck and trouble I put her through, after all the times ahe spent trying to show me her love, after all she did..I have finally reached the zenith-I have become my Mom. And I couldn't be happier :)

No comments: